Friday, August 14, 2009

Faking It

Whenever my Mom comes over she is always accompanied by a large bag from TJ Max or Marshalls, full of things for the kids.  She does a lot of shopping, and every once in a while I will throw in an actual request.  So it came to pass that camp was starting and my daughter needed water proof shoes.  My mom picked her up a pair of the real deal, the kind used by channel swimmers, meant to stay on in the ocean and and more than adequate for the light sprinklers and water tables available at camp.  My daughter wore them for about a week, and then started lobbying for Crocs.  I finally gave in for her birthday, and for the last week of camp she had her dream shoes.  

Now we are on vacation and the ocean beckons.  A pair of water shoes would be just the thing, and of course I left them at home, my daughter forced to crunch around the flotsam and jetsam, her Crocs useless. And so I ask why is it that no matter how well prepared I am, no matter how much I plan, I am always without the one thing I think I need?  

So it goes in the kitchen, where I have learned to adapt more readily than the other rooms in and out of the house.    Yesterday was raining, and we ran from place to place, stand to stand, trying to keep the kids entertained.  I came home with some strawberries, baby squash, and flowers.  I sliced the berries for the kids, placed the flowers in a plastic pitcher, and faked the below side dish.  Now if I could just learn to do this outside the kitchen...

When have you faked it and why? Please comment below.  

I Faked It Baby Squash

2 tbsp olive or canola oil
1 lb of baby squash, sliced thin (about 1/4 inch.  Zucchini would probably also work here)
salt and pepper to taste
1 lime, sliced in half
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp chopped fresh dill

_________________________________________________________________

Heat oil on medium in saute pan.  
Add baby squash, and saute for 5 - 7 minutes, until just soft. 
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Squeeze 2 lime halves over the zucchini and stir juice into squash.  Cook an additional minute.  
Add rice wine vinegar and stir. Cook an additional minute.
Plate squash.  Sprinkle dill on top and serve immediately.  

No comments:

Post a Comment