Saturday, November 19, 2011

Savory: Braised Onions


Pearl onions are one of those things you either love or hate - not a lot of middle ground here. I personally do not prefer them, but my husband does and I do prefer him. So come Autumn, when they are at their most fresh and delicious peak, I always pick out a few bags and bring them home with me.

Now, the tricky part about pearl onions is prepping them. Teeny tiny onions with thin papery skins can make one bitchy chef. I advise buying them fresh and already peeled or purchasing the frozen brands which are also pre-peeled. If not, swallow a valium and have at it - plan on adding an extra 20 - 30 minutes to cooking time. Basically you cut an 'x' in each onion, blanch them for 1 minute, let them cool, and peel away.

This recipe comes from the back of the Trader Joe's fresh peeled onions I picked up this week. It is a quick recipe, and despite my prejudice, kind of tasty. Enjoy every bite.

Ingredients
2 tbsp olive oil
6 oz pearl onions, peeled
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 - 1 and 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth (I used vegetable)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 pat of butter
Sprig of fresh thyme

Method
  1. Place oil in medium skillet and heat on medium. Add onions and saute until just brown, approximately 10 minutes.
  2. Add vinegar and continue to saute until sauce becomes a rich brown.
  3. Add broth to cover the onions halfway. Stir to incorporate. Bring to a simmer.
  4. Partly cover pan and lower heat. Continue to simmer and braise for 15 - 20 minutes.
  5. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  6. Add butter and thyme; stir until incorporated. Remove from heat and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment